Monday, January 3, 2011

Rugby anyone?

Many years ago, when I was like 35...I decided I should take up rugby. "Why not", I thought; after all, I am a lean, mean, fighting machine - and damn fast - what an athletic specimen I be. So, off I trotted to a very reputable Beaches rugby team tryout - my only concern was how would this affect my training for Ironman.
As it turned out, it affected my training A LOT!
I was hopelessly pounded and outclassed by blokes who outweighed my scrawny triathlete body by a factor of 2; for 90 minutes, I was hammered, battered and smashed around. I came home bloody, bruised and yet conflicted: I loved the sport, the team camaraderie we don't have in triathlons, running, etc - but damn, was I messed up.
I stuck it out two more practices - because I was pretty fast and have good hands, was invited to join the team, but, ultimately, politely declined. I had made my choice: race a fast Ironman over rugby, 'cause the two don't mesh that well. Bloodied and sore did not go over well the next day when I had to ride 5 hours and then run 2 more...and trying to swim 5000m freestyle when my pencil arms were bruised the colour of a rainbow; and my ribs - ow. 
But I did enjoy the video above [and for that matter, loved "Invictus"!]. Based on the very clever and successful "Pick Me" campaign from the NFL,, the New Zealand All Blacks produced the video (above) of some of their stars - computer effects or not, it is really cool.
Then in response and perhaps even more entertaining, is the "Take That" response by the Australian Super 15 Team, the Brumbies - this time with no [as in NONE] trick camera or clever editing:



watch out for the hooker,
johnny boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment