Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Own Private Obsession - Snowstorm? What Storm?


crazy runner
Yesterday, during the stupidly nasty big snowstorm that hit Toronto - again -  when the streets and sidewalks were packed with snow and slush and ice and the temperatures hovered just between minus 10 and minus 20 degrees, with a fierce head wind, I pulled on my running kit, layered-up, and headed for a long run.  Within the first 5 minutes, my face went completely numb from the cold.  The footing was treacherous and slippery, and the snow was smacking my face like little razors. It was around this time, maybe an hour into the run, that three thoughts slid fleetingly through my mind: 1. why wasn't I on a treadmill? and 2.  have I completely lost my mind? and 3. damn was I having fun! 
I will go to exceptional lengths to avoid running inside - I HATE running on the dreadmill; hell, I have run in the dark in minus 35 degree weather just to get those final miles of the week in. Yes, I admit a wee bit of the classic "runner's drive" at times: I have been known to forgo social events in exchange for a workout; I have planned entire days around a run; I have driven miles to run in just the right spot; I have taken too few days off; I have pushed too hard when I am sick and exhausted, or worse, injured; and I have fueled too little when running too far.  I get offended when sedentary people refer to runners as crazy (or for that matter when people equate and compare "joggers" with runners). I know that I often push the limit; I hear and accept the kernel of truth in this latter frequent observation.
And other runners don’t help.  We often praise each other for pressing dangerously hard and fighting through exceptionally treacherous conditions.  So added to my list of New Year’s resolutions is a solid effort to reduce the crazy.  This is what I will vow to do:
  • Take days off when I am sick
  • Take regular rest days
  • Put the quality of my miles over the sheer quantity
  • Skip a run if I am heavily sleep deprived or injured
  • Eat properly before and after long run
  • STRETCH
If we’re honest, we can all admit to getting a little crazy sometimes.  These lapses in judgment are, in the end, what lead to injury and burnout.  Figuring out where you push too hard and is essential to good running.  And thus, in the spirit of my own words, I am not heading to the race I am scheduled to do today...unless I change my mind later and do a race-day entry.
it's only snow, right?
Johnny Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment