Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So much for my "tempo" run

Yesterday was the second day of a long schedule of training to get back to race form; I went out, in nasty 40-60km winds, on a totally exposed road, and ran 14km. My training goal was 4km warm up at 4:30km pace and then cruise the last 10km at 4:10-15 pace - it was pretty tough when forging right into that friggin' wind [straight from the west at howling proportions] but it is not like I haven't been there like a 1000 times before - and as my old friend Billy H used to quote: "the wind is your friend". Anyway, I finished the run, with gluts and achilles not too bad all things considered - and feeling might impressed with myself, came home and entered the data for the run into my logbook. Then, in the spirit of seeing who else is running as fast as me lately (haha), I surfed around my fav running sites on the 'net. And then I found this: Leonard Komon Of Kenya Smashes World Record In The 15K. G*d damn - too put this into perspective, I ran 14km in just under 60 min - granted, I was only training - but still, Komon ran 15km in 41:13 - he ran 1km more than my whole run nearly 19 min faster.Leonard Patrick Komon celebrates as he breaks the world record in the 15K.
(here is a pic of Komon setting the World Record in the 10km - 26:44 in Utrecht, netherlands earlier this year. 26:44!!!! nearly 9 min faster than I have ever run 10km - b*stard!).
So, this certainly put me in my place after my run yesterday - and puts things into true perspective; makes me want to head out to the track and do some speed work.
5 x 1km anyone?

peace out
Johnny Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment