Sunday, November 14, 2010

Master of the Pep Talk - Providence be Damned

One of my favourite movies is "Rudy" - ya, it is weepy sentimental dreck, but I defy anyone watching not to tear up when Rudy (i) gets into Notre Dame and (ii) takes to the field in the ND blue and gold.
There is a great scene when Sean Austin [of "Lord of the Rings" fame], who plays Rudy, stands in the Notre Dame locker room and quotes from perhaps the most famous of sports speeches - that of Knute Rockne. I confess I had never known the providence until now: Rockne Inspires with his "Win One"Pep Talk:  “I’ve got to go, Rock. It’s all right. I’m not afraid. Some time, Rock, when the team is up against it, when things are wrong, and the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to go in there, with all they’ve got, and win just one for the Gipper. I don’t know where I’ll be then, Rock. But I’ll know about it, and I’ll be happy.”
As the article goes on to review, maybe the quote's source is in question - but, damn, when the scene is played out in Rudy (Rudy reads from the plaque with the quote at 30 secs into the clip below), gives you goosebumps.

peace out - and follow your dreams
Johnny Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment