Monday, November 22, 2010

All my Mom gave us for lunch was bologna...

When I was a wee lad, my Mom made all our lunches - her fav, and definitely not ours, was the time -honoured bologna sandwich: two slices of the world's driest white bread and a slice of "hmmmm yummy" bologna. Or, when pressed for time, Mom would whip together a lunch time treat - the same two pieces of white bread with (as Mr. Burns on The Simpsons would comment) "exxxxcccceeeeelllleeeennntttt" processed cheese and lettuce. Yup, one slice of cheese with lettuce - which made "trading up" at lunch with my fellow middle schooler's damn near impossible. I mean, who (in their right mind) wants to trade a cheese/lettuce sandwich in return for, say, a chocolate bar or Twinkie, etc? And in case you are wondering, I really do have the world's greatest Mom; it was just that our lunches were not a priority in her attempt to get three kids off to school on time. Further, before ye judge, note the article I recently read:  Mom gives joint to 2 yr old - and video tapes child smoking!
Rather than whip up lunch - even a cheese/lettuce sandwich - this Mom shares the magic weed with her 2 year old daughter, and then, films it - seriously, what the hell was this woman thinking? I still marvel that we require people, as an example, to take a test to get a driver's licence, but alas, there is no such test to be a parent.

Suddenly a cheese & lettuce sandwich doesn't seem so bad....but I have to admit, it would have been wayyyyy easier to make a trade at lunch if Mom had packed a bag of weed instead of a bologna sandwich.

peace out,
Johnny Boy

1 comment:

  1. I think you're missing the point... you probably would have appreciated the cheese & lettuce sandwich more if you were high :P

    ReplyDelete