Thursday, May 29, 2014

Walk Like a Man (FAI Hip Surgery Part 5)

Mark this down: May 27, 2014: surgeon gives (wait for it) the "green light"!!
no, this is not me - this kid is faster & stronger 
this is also not me - but, I now can, "Walk Tall"
So - this week, I saw my surgeon for the requisite 7 week follow up to find out when I can start "weight bearing" on my right leg; it has not escaped the more "vocal" [read "old man cantankerous"] that I may in fact reference my rather intense dislike of the death sticks a bit much.
Tough. I hate them.
Anyway...my (most excellent) surgeon Dr Iyeni indicated all is going swimmingly, and then directed me to "walk" - I actually asked him "what?" as he and I had talked about possibly weigh bearing after 6-8 weeks, but I wasn't ready for full on, no-crutches-to-lean-on, walking with no "transition" - he looked at me like I was an idiot [sadly a look I am all too familiar with from most people] and so he repeated it, this time more emphatically: "WALK".
You would think it would be easy to just "walk", especially when you have been thinking of this moment for 7 weeks. 7. LONG. WEEKS. (*Dad - that was for you - hahaha).
In fact, I was kinda nervous to put put weight on my right leg so I just stood there in the middle of the exam room [see, above: "idiot"] - and then tried to walk.
It wan't pretty - but I took 1, then 2, baby steps before I had to grab the exam table as I was about to keel over.
(**this is how I felt walking, stumbling, then walking again. Then nearly falling. Then getting up and walking. 'cause that is how we roll.)

Anyway - Dr I was pleased. Like a new father watching his first born walk for the first time, he smiled - no, he positively beamed - beautifically...ok, fine, that is wayyy too overly dramatic, but whatever - it was cool.
yes, I am alive and walking
Dr I said keep at and I should be able to walk sans death sticks in 1-2 weeks. Loose 1 in a week, then the other in 2, and maybe even skip the "cane phase". Booyaa.
But - he scolded that I can't even think of running - and even then only 1 min max to start -  until July at the earliest; no flip turns in the pool until mid July; and  no hills on the bike until July either.
Whatever - I can walk...like a man, or as Kendi says, like a BOSS MAN.

See ya on the roads - in July
Mellow Johnny

ps - go 'Hawks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment