Monday, February 28, 2011

That Hurt - More Than You Know

So, I raced yesterday: the Ontario Masters Indoor Championships. I was entered in the 3000m - and hoped, like last year, to take home the Crown...
My coach Matt Loiselle (click for Matt's coaching page "The Good Times Running") and I had planned out the perfect race strategy - much like Pre (see the clip above - start it at around 7:10 [and pardon the stupid Spanish sub titles], where Pre, driving and talking with the (now) American running legend Frank Shorter, lays out the race strategy he planned to implement to set the World Record for the 3 mile: "64 secs - boom; 1:28 - boom..."). You get the point - I too had planned on a specific pace: 40 sec per 200, 39 for the last = 9:59. In fact, for me, winning the race yesterday took a back seat to the goal of a sub 10min performance.
However, as the kids say, "fail". Ya, I won the race (in 10:13), but not the goal I had set.
For although I put in the work physically, I guess I am still a work in progress on the mental toughness. Unlike a longer race - like any of the Ironman's I have raced, where if you drift off for a few secs and lose focus, not really a big deal - in a 3000m race, if you lose focus and thus precious seconds, you are dead in the water. And I ain't no Pre (as if).
The race started out perfectly; I was relaxed and in the zone. I went thru 1 km in exactly 3:20 - perfect; 1200 in 4:01 - "pretty damned to close to goal pace, no worries, make it up on the bell lap"; cruising thru 1400m, I noticed I was now 2 seconds off pace. "Uh oh". 1600 -  3 seconds off goal pacing..."uh oh" big time.
Kurt Vonnegut once famously wrote "And so it goes".
And for me yesterday, so it went - slowly, inexorably, obviously, in plain view as I watched the race clock tick away each lap - downhill. What was to be a goal I have not yet achieved - sub 10 for 3km - was again, damn it, not to be.
I finished the race with the crushing knowledge that I had, somewhere after after 1400m, drifted mentally, and in losing my focus and the toughness to "hurt", had failed to run the race I had not only trained for, but was more than capable of running.
It was not the fact I had not run sub 10 min per se that pissed me off (ok, that did piss me off royally); rather, it was the knowledge  - only gained upon post race reflection, because when in the moment you don't see the reality of time - that I had simply quit on myself.
I knew the race goal I had set would hurt - running on the razor's edge at red line pace is not fun - and yet with full knowledge and awareness, at some point I still unconsciously backed away from the place all runners have to go to achieve (their own personal) greatness: "the dark place".
 Nietzsche wrote in his famous work "Beyond Good and Evil", referencing the Superman, "when you look long into the abyss, the abyss looks long into you". I didn't do that yesterday; I just have to re-learn how to look in to that abyss, a place I have only been on a few, rare occasions.
Because now I see this possibility not as a place or thing to fear, but as an opportunity, as Nietzsche wrote, "to get faster, stronger, to suffer". The abyss is a place I have to go - because I can.
So today, instead of wallowing in self pity, I headed out the door and ran - ran to exorcise the demons of self-doubt and anger at what I initially saw as a failure. And I had a good run - a damned good run.
And rather than post the link to Beck's song, "I'm a Loser, Baby (So Why Don't You Kill Me)", which I initially thought was the perfect metaphor for my race yesterday, let's try this approach instead - a cool Nike commercial using the poetry of Langston Hughes:

run fast
Johnny Boy

3 comments:

  1. Take it as it is....a learning experience. Rip it apart and find the good and the bad. Then use it for the next one. The only bad race is the one you don't learn anything from.

    Next one say fuck it and roll johnny boy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I race the 3K pretty often (3 times so far out of 4 races this season) and I know the frustration of not hitting pace. Each time I went out there my coach had me split at 9:30- I wound up going 9:46, 9:45, 9:43. My first 1000 would always be on pace but I would just slip off. There were plenty of excuses (no one to pace off of, getting tripped, being sick) but none very convincing. It's frustrating too because people in my training group are running under 9:30, which I know I am capable of doing as well. But the last time I went out there, I came to the conclusion that the reason I had been under-performing was because I wasn't racing- I was running a time trial each time, trying to hit a fast time, checking my watch every lap. As I'm maturing into a better runner, I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that racing means beating the guy next to you, and pushing yourself to your limit, and not trying to hit pace. My opinion is that fast times come as the result of racing hard and trying to win, and not the other way around. So feel good about winning your race, but know that that isn't your limit either. If you want to break 10, get yourself in a race you know you can't win, but try to win anyway.

    ReplyDelete